Do you ever find yourself stuck when you are trying to come up with new blog post ideas? I’ve been blogging for almost 10 years, but I often find myself out of ideas when I open my calendar and try to slot in content. Recently though, I stumbled onto a trick for coming up with blog posts ideas that is a total game changer.
Ready for my top secret trick? Next time you feel like you have no blog post ideas follow your digital footprint. Revisit and review your Instagram and Pinterest saves. If you use bookmarks through your web browser check those too. I know it sounds way too simple, but trust me it works. Just yesterday I did the following exercise and was able to plan out two months of content easily.
(Note – even if you aren’t a blogger, you could easily apply this system to creating content for your small business, or if you work in the sales, social media, or marketing department of your company)
Coming up with a bank of blog post ideas:
Start by looking at all off your your digital saves from the last couple of months. This includes:
Instagram saved images
Bookmarks (on my laptop and phone)
Notes on my phone
When I first started doing this, I noticed that my saves usually fall into 3 categories:
- Things I read and plan to do/bake/try myself. These are usually not good candidates for post ideas because that might fall too close to copying someone’s idea. If I’ve saved something out of admiration, I usually skip it.
- Blog post ideas. Surprisingly, I do save things often with the intention of turning the idea into a blog post, but then I wasn’t going back to them! What a waste. This is an easy category, but again, be careful that you aren’t being inspired to re-write an existing piece.
- Interesting things that can be developed into blog posts. This is the money category, but also the trickiest to work with. I’ll share a few examples from my recent review that fit into this space.
- Recently I’ve been saving a lot of images of beautiful velvet capes/caplets. I’m thinking maybe this will be a good DIY project for all.
- Most of the quotes that have been catching my attention and ending up on my Pinterest board are about female friendships and the women in your tribe. This is inspiring me to write about how my female tribe helps me stay motivated and grow my business.
- Lots of love for curly hair happening in my Instagram saves, so that inspired me to try out some drug store products for curls.
- I’ve also been saving a lot of different soups lately, really feeling the fall comfort food vibes.
Next time you are stuck coming up with blog post ideas, take a look at what you’ve been liking and saving lately, I bet you’ll find lots of inspiration there!
Pin for Later